For the Sauce:
• 2 cups chopped butternut squash
• 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 1/2 cups whole milk or dairy free alternative
For the Pasta:
• 1 12 ounce package Butternut Squash pasta
• 1 cup cauliflower florets, blanched in salted water
• 2 tablespoons sliced fresh sage
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
First make the sauce. Place the butternut in a small sauce pan with 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer until the squash is very tender. Transfer the squash to a food processor and purée until smooth. Set aside.
In a sauce pan on low heat, combine the flour and butter. As the butter melts, whisk to incorporate. Cook out the “floury” taste for 4 minutes then whisk in the milk. As it simmers it will thicken up the milk.
Continue to slowly simmer for 15 minutes then stir in the butternut squash purée. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
In a large pot, bring 8 cups of salted water to a boil. Stir in the pasta then cook until just tender. Drain the pasta then transfer back to the cooking pot. Add the cauliflower and sage. Stir in enough sauce to coat the pasta well.
Transfer the pasta to a cast iron pan or into a large casserole dish. Spread a thin layer of the remaining sauce over the top of the pasta.